I've seemingly become oblivious to that word -- "barriers." For me, things become barriers only when you let them become barriers. Throughout my life, I have encountered a lot of these so-called barriers, but they were more like challenges for me -- things that can be worked around and not really show-stoppers.

In my current predicament, I don't really see any external barriers that can't be overcome if you really want to. Of course, trying to overcome these barriers involves risks -- the risk of failure, of even possibly getting hurt in the process. But I've learned that unless you muster the courage to confront your fears and be willing to take risks then there's no way you can move forward. I've learned that if you always stay within your comfort zone then there won't be much room for improvement and growth.

They say that it's better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. I live by this mantra because so many times, the things we fear don't even happen, and not taking chances just result in missed opportunities. I've also realized that I can live more easily with regrets over the things that I did than over the things that I didn't do. Time doesn't come back and neither do opportunities. Opportunities can easily slip by if you don't grab them right away. I'd hate to be an old woman later and still be haunted by what ifs and could've beens.

I don't know where my courage and bravado is coming from. I don't know why I'm suddenly fearless. I used to be enveloped by my fears, but now I can't even find a trace of them. I kinda wish I still had those fears just because they protect me. They keep me from wanting to explore uncharted territories. But for some reason, my fears have been replaced by a very strong urge to move ahead.

Now I feel like surging ahead no matter what the consequences may be. I just think that I can be more at peace with failing despite my efforts than being stuck in a place where I don't want to be. Besides, it really is a win-win situation. Trying to overcome the barriers might prove to be successful. But even if it doesn't, it will surely be a learning experience and I'd be a better person for it. As another saying goes, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I guess that no matter how bad things get, the human spirit is resilient enough to be able to move on and recover.

The one real barrier, I think, is ourselves. If we're so consumed by negativity, and if we let all the possibilities -- good and bad -- overwhelm us -- then we will just be paralyzed and be unable to move forward. I think the key is to take things one day and one step at a time. The first step is always the hardest and the scariest. But if you just keep an open mind and be brave enough to take that first step, you might find that it's not so bad after all.

0 comments: