The crystal. I didn't get the analogy at first. What's wrong with the crystal? Well, it's beautiful and hard. Rock solid, and yet it's in its final form -- it can no longer be transformed into something else.

And that's how it is. We are in the process of being crystallized. Something beautiful, and yet offers no room for growth. It's like we've reached our maximum potential. Yet, this doesn't make us happy, for the inability to grow further is almost synonymous to death.

Do we just content ourselves with the beautiful for the fear of destroying it if we try to stretch it to its limits, or perhaps even beyond its limits? And yet, what good is crystal if all you can do is stare at it and admire it from afar? What good is beauty and strength if they're all for show?

I keep thinking of what I'd prefer and all I can come up with is gold. Gold isn't as rock solid as crystal -- its beauty not readily apparent. It can melt when subjected to heat and it can be transformed into any form as you see fit. But maybe that's what I want. I don't want something stagnant. I don't want something that's beautiful and "safe," but which can no longer grow.

Gold can become beautiful, too, yet it's never in its final state. It can always be changed into something even more beautiful. It's not rock solid. The more pure the gold, the more malleable it becomes -- seemingly vulnerable.

But I'd rather be vulnerable because that's more real. I definitely prefer that over pretend strength. So what if we break under pressure? Gold becomes beautiful only when subjected to the elements. If it can't withstand all the pressure, is it really something that we want?

0 comments: