They say the opposite of love is not hate -- that it is indifference. Yes, that may be true. But maybe there's another side to it. Sometimes indifference can serve as a defense mechanism. As they say, you'll be happier if you didn't care so much about everyone's lives and everyone's worries.

It was three or so years ago when TNB told me that I think too much and that I shouldn't be worrying too much about other people's concerns or else I'd go crazy. "Let them worry about their own lives," he said.

I've been trying to do that -- and maybe I've even overdone it. I feel that if there's something I can't control then it's best to not just care about it. Pretend that it's not there.

Detachment has also been a trick I've learned. I guess this goes hand in hand with indifference. Nothing ever lasts or stays the same, so not getting too attached makes it easier to let go and move on.

I know this is such a cynical -- maybe even pessimistic -- take on things, but we do what we can to survive. Although the human spirit is strong, it can take only so many blows, so you gotta put something in place to protect it -- an outer layer that will help reduce the intensity of these blows.

With that in mind, I don't think indifference is so bad -- definitely not necessarily the opposite of love. Maybe it can even be brought on by love for one's self. Sometimes it's really the only choice you've got.

0 comments: