I learned most of what I know in my work from my mentors -- my managers and some teammates with lead roles. What I appreciate most about my mentors is not really how good they are with their job, but how willing they are to share their knowledge.


I really appreciate it when others help you become a better person by giving you advices and honest feedback. This information is something I take with me even long after the working relationship has ended. It's amazing how even mentors from afar can leave their mark in my being through the knowledge and wisdom they've imparted with me.


One such mentor has been coming to mind lately. She used to give me a lot of tips on how to handle certain situations and how to improve the way I do my work. She constantly gave me the same advvices and reminders throughout the years that I've known her that I didn't realize they have become a part of me.


I used to take the things she told me for granted just because there really wasn't any opportunity to use or apply them. I didn't realize, however, that I've been putting those advices to good use recently.  I just realized it when I started hearing myself talking like her whenever I share the same tips and advices with others. The amazing thing is that I don't even have to struggle to remember these things. I just do them naturally (probably because of hearing it so much for so long?), and I find that following these advices makes me feel empowered and confident.


I recently thanked her for all of the things she imparted with me, and her advice this time was to pay it forward, to also share with others what I have learned. Another awesome advice, and one that I totally agree with. I am totally in favor  sharing what I know with others. You sort of replicate yourself this way as opposed  keeping what you know to yourself for the fear that you might become dispensable. The latter, I think, is selfish and does not promote any growth.


A good leader, I think, is not one who has all the know-how because these thngs can be learned from books, and not one who just helps you in the moment by addressing a particular concern. I think that a good leader is one who can help you become a better person above and beyond what your job calls for and who truly cares about your development as a person and provides you with the guidance you need.

0 comments: