It seems I've talked about this so many times before under different circumstances, involving different people. But somehow it keeps recurring.

I can never understand why some people just crave attention, which sometimes -- maybe often? -- leads to the craving for power. It amazes me, for instance, how some people have a way of turning every conversation so that it becomes about them. Why do they always feel the need to steal the show? Is that their feeble attempt to feel -- err, seem -- important? Or smart perhaps?

And then there are the people who easily fall for flattery. I hate flattery, especially if  it's obviously the empty kind. So many people get manipulated through flattery, and I just don't get it. I'm not probably the best person at handling flattery. I'm not particularly good at taking compliments. I let them in one ear and out the other. I'm too cynical to accept any form of flattery or compliment as sincere. Anyhow, I know myself, so what others say don't really matter. It just irks me how some people let flattery get into their heads, making them suddenly act all-important when the flattery is so obviously untrue.

And then there are people who don't need attention or flattery to think greatly of themselves. Of course, self esteem and self confidence are important and even encouraged , but there are just some people who put themselves on a pedestal and don't take the time to realistically and truthfully evaluate themselves.What's worse is that they think they're so great that everyone else is less than they are.These are usually the type of people who stop at nothing to get ahead -- even to the ploint of undermining others.

Well, I'm obviously someone who hates attention, flattery, egotism, and most especially the cunning. I believe that if you're really good then people will know your worth without you having to broadcast it. I believe that you can assert yourself and get ahead without stepping on other people's toes.

I truly admire people who keep low profiles and yet are successful and well known for what they do. I think that people who keep calling attention to themselves are really insecure and are grasping at straws in order to get the attention and power they crave.

I would admire quiet confidence more. The truly confident are secure in themselves and do not feel the need to get other people's approval to know their worth.




0 comments: