A wish that's a year in the making came true on May 16, 2009 at the Mall of Asia Concert Grounds. Seemingly timed just almost a year after they won American Idol 7, David Cook and David Archuleta finally came to the Philippines to perform.

Of course, this has been a long awaited event, and I was only ecstatic that they upgraded my Silver ticket to Gold (woot!). The concert was great, lost my voice screaming again, and it made me think that no wonder those two topped last year's competition. Great vocals and stage presence!

David Archuleta came on stage first, and he must have sung all of the songs on his album. Just kept singing one song after another, with only a sip or two of water in between. He also got behind the keyboards/piano on some songs. David A.'s set was actually the first "strictly pop" concert I've been to for a long time. It seems I've been going to rock concerts all this time. Anyway, it was very easy-listening where you get to actually appreciate the vocals more because there aren't much of the guitar riffs and "noise" that come with rock performances. His songs were quite sentimental and ones I could relate to. He was also quite a charming kid -- even a bit shy maybe.

Of course, David Cook's set was most awaited. Whereas David A's performance gives you the relaxing, makes-you want-to-reminisce-or-ponder mood, David C.'s performance was more the energetic, meant-to-entertain type. Unlike Archie who was quite shy, David Cook exuded that confidence that others often mistake for arrogance. Amazing vocals, of course, plus great at the guitar. His brother just passed away, too. Amazing how performers can put aside their personal problems and act as if everything's alright with the world when they're on stage. I just wish David C. sang more of his own stuff than covers which were quite unfamiliar to the Filipino audience. He didn't sing some of the songs I was expecting him to, but at least he sang one song from his pre-Idol album Analog Heart. Oh well, I guess I just wish he could have sung more songs.

This concert was really more like two concerts in one and was definitely worth the money, time and effort. The firework displays before each set were also a plus. I really hope that won't be the first and last time the Davids would come here. They would definitely always be the best American Idol winners for me!

===============

Some side notes:

  • I will upload photos from the concert and other concerts on my soon-to-be-constructed Multiply site. Sorry I'm really lazy when it comes to uploading photos but will try to get to that as son as I can.

  • I know I haven't been blogging as much lately. Been quite busy with work... long story, but I'll try to catch up on my blogs as soon as I can! The list of blog topics I have in mind are growing longer! I just hope I don't forget them. By the way, this is also the reason why I haven't been logging on at Yahoo! Messenger that much. Really miss you guys! Hope to talk to you soon!

0 comments: