Susan Boyle is the latest buzz in the world of reality TV today. She is a contestant on the show Britain's Got Talent, and no matter how many times I watch the video of her performance, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

She's the perfect example of a person being judged based solely on her appearance. Thanks to Let for giving me the link to the video, but even I, at first, thought, "What could be so special about this video/person"? Susan Boyle is a less-than-ordinary-looking woman to put it bluntly. She's a 47-year old woman from Scotland, and there was nothing nice in her appearance. Reminded me actually of a character from a fairy tale --- can't pinpoint who --- but definitely not the princess. The audience looked on with some form of disgust on their faces. Even the judges must've thought it preposterous and definitely didn't make an effort to hide this.

Susan, on the other hand, seemed oblivious to the hostile reactions around her and went about being her jolly self, even daring to give a small dance on stage, which made everyone roll their eyes even more.
But everyone was in awe and was totally amazed at the angelic voice they were hearing the moment she opened her mouth to sing. Yes, I thought she had an angelic voice, and she sang so effortlessly, too!

I guess my tears are from the joy I feel at her gift and how she brings so much inspiration to those around her. I know I get goose bumps whenever I watch that video. But also, my tears are probably tears of shame for belittling someone just because of what she looked like -- for rashly judging someone and pegging that person as something before she had a chance to show what she's got.

Well, I've read that good things are being done for her now, and I hope that this will be the start of a good life for her.
If you haven't seen the video yet, then you're definitely missing out!

0 comments: