I know this entry is kinda geeky, but I thought I'd share this as someone out there might need it. I've been trying to merge two projects without using the merge feature of RoboHelp. The merge feature appends the second project's TOC to the first project's TOC and does not allow you to restructure the merged TOC.

Well, since our project was not structured to enable merging, the only option was to import, but you can import only the HTM files and not the TOC. You have to "import" the TOC separately. However, there's no utility for importing the TOC. So I was manually redoing the TOC (oh bugger! *rolls eyes*) until my PC hung for some reason and I lost everything . RoboHelp doesn't come with an auto recovery feature either.

I was almost done and about to go home when this happened, so I was really grateful that a friend knew just how to do it the easy way. I was about to give up as my web searches were all futile. Well, thanks to Gomer, I got to redo something I've been doing for days in a matter of minutes...

So here's how to copy a TOC from one project to another:
  1. On the Project Manager pane, right-click Table of Contents then click New Table of Contents.
  2. Select Copy existing Table of Contents.
  3. Enter a name for the copied TOC.
  4. Browse to the location of the TOC you want to copy. The file has an extension of *.hhc.
  5. Click OK.
The copied TOC displays on a new TOC pane. You can move TOC elements between the two TOCs that are open.

0 comments: