Words are meant to be used in effective communication, but sometimes, even the simplest words are subject to interpretation. "No" can actually mean yes, and "yes" can actually mean no.

I may be quite gullible, but when it comes to "serious" (another subjective word!) stuff, I try not to take people's words at their face value. I try to delay reacting until I get more information. When someone says it's OK, I assume that it's really not OK until I get sufficient "proof" that it's really OK. Paranoia? Distrust? I don't know, but I know that more people are more comfortable with lying, omitting information, or sugarcoating the truth than saying outright what they really mean.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. This has always been my mantra. As an advocate of truth and honesty, I believe that being direct with our messages help keep things simple and clear, and help prevent misunderstandings and misconceptions. For this, I am often labelled as too blunt, frank, even aggressive?

Well, I'm not a people-pleaser, and I believe that you can always say what you really mean without being rude or crass. However, some people still take offense even when the message conveyed is true.

I always try to be upfront, and I somehow expect the same from others. In this particular predicament, I wish I could just get the message the way it's really meant. Oftentimes, people hide their messages behind nice words for fear of hurting or offending, but I think it's doing more damage when I keep thinking of what was said versus what was really meant.

Messages can have so many facets. They're often not what they seem at first, for when I try to analyze the message, there are so many possible meanings based on different scenarios. Now it's just causing me confusion.

Most people see bluntness and directness as sorta mean. I say it's the kinder way of conveying a message.

0 comments: