I missed last year's Employee Appreciation Day by a week, but I got to participate in this year's event. As a company that always puts its employees' welfare first, the company I work for holds an Employee Appreciation Day every year (this year's was only the second, though). In our US offices, this would be celebrated in the form of picnics and stuff.

Well, picnics aren't quite feasible in Metro Manila, especially in the middle of the Makati Central Business District, so we just had dinner and some program at a rented function room. The theme was Filipiniana, and of course, we were all encouraged to dress up. There would be awards for the best dressed. The thing I appreciate about our company is that these kinds of things are never mandatory. Those who want to dress up can do so. It's no big deal, though, if you don't want to. What I've noticed is that the same people usually love to dress up and participate in things like this. Majority, of course (myself included), wouldn't even bother.

For this occasion, they just provided sombreros or whatever they're called and bandannas to be tied around the neck. This was to still have the Filipiniana feel despite not dressing up. The food was superb, of course (also having the Filipino theme), and a surprising twist was that the managers were the ones who served the food! Our VP and General Manager served as bartenders, serving sago gulaman (a Filipino beverage with tapioca and gelatin). I felt kinda sorry for them :P, but they were all sport about it.

We had games and stuff. Everything was pretty much impromptu. Another thing I like about our events is that we don't fuss much about preparations or programs. Those who want to perform may do so, but there's no pressure for anyone to do anything.

There was some silly Q&A for the Best in Costume, and as with any pageant, there was a "Hoh, my Gawd" moment (Gee, I miss James! =) ). One was asked what he/she can contribute to the company should he/she win... to which the person answered, "World peace!" Yeah! :))

Overall, it was a fun event. Although our team still isn't familiar with most of the other teams, I somehow felt I belonged. I guess that's a good sign, and as always, I really appreciate how much our company values its employees and how "pampered" we are.


0 comments: