My Internet speed had been literally crawling recently, with download speeds ranging from 200 to 300 kbps...can you believe that? I'm now taking a lot of my late-night teleconferences at home, so this kind of connection might get me into trouble if I can't connect to Skype or Live Meeting. Plus my brother's always complaining that he gets logged off from War Rock (*rolls eyes* ) when he and the bunch come over for a visit and of course, hog my computer all day.

I then thought of upgrading my PLDT MyDSL plan, but from friends' advices, I looked into shifting to another Internet service provider instead. Unfortunately, there are no available lines for Globe Broadband, SKY Broadband, or Destiny in my area... talk about tough luck!

So I guess I was stuck with PLDT MyDSL. I was just going to upgrade my plan to 1 mbps, since the plan I signed up for (Plan 999) years ago guaranteed only 384 kbps. However, I learned from the MyDSL tech support guy that I should already be at 1 mbps at my current plan and that if I wanted to upgrade then it would be to the 2 mbps plan, which was for P1299.00/month. But I figured that if I was getting 200 kbps when I'm supposedly getting 1 mbps, I might just end up getting 400 kbps if I upgraded to 2 mbps...no way!

Instead of upgrading my DSL plan, I just filed a report that my connection was utterly slow. I was really dubious about filing another report because nothing had been done in the past. The tech guy just attributed the slow connection to the speed of my computer...duhh??? I have a 2G Core Duo processor (okay, Job I can hear you laughing, or probably rolling your eyes? :P ) or whatever. My brother has a slightly slower processor and gets great speed for his MyDSL connection.

Anyway, they worked on it remotely the whole week last week. They never came to my place, as I am only home after 5, so they just called me to see how my speed was and did their thing wherever. The guy in charge was the same guy who said the slow connection was because of my PC (I just talked to him on the phone then, too). Anyway, they finally did something right, and the last time I checked I was getting a download speed of 1.15-1.20 mbps, and that was a peak hour. My upload speed was around 300+ kbps. Not bad at all...woot! :)



0 comments: