I got a bunch of CDs from my dad when he came home some months ago. This review of sorts is kinda overdue, but I wanted to give them a good listen before giving my thoughts on them. Also dividing them into several parts so as not to make this a very long post.

Ashlee Simpson (Bittersweet World). I was very surprised when I found this among the CDs my dad gave me, as in what the --? Well, maybe since I like the likes of Britney Spears, he assumed I would like Ashlee, too. Not in the same league! Well anyway, of course I listened to this one -- as painful as it may be LOL -- and it's bearable LOL. I hate the fast tracks, which are, I think, a lame attempt at trying to sound techno or dance. The fast tracks from her first album were even better. Anyway, there are a couple of slow songs in this album that are quite "doable", namely Little Miss Obsessive and Never Dream Alone. Well, I definitely liked her on Seventh Heaven, but I'd rather listen to Fall Out Boy anytime =)

Dido (Safe Trip Home). This one's a snoozer -- the type you'd want to listen to when you're trying to unwind from a long tiring day. The melodies are very monotonous (???) and you can listen to this as you sleep without being awakened by sudden crescendos or loud guitar riffs. Not one of my favorites (The previous album was better, too), and I definitely won't listen to this if I want to get revved up in the office.

Duffy (Rockferry). This was another surprise among the bunch. Why would my dad give me a CD of Duffy? I knew she was popular in the US, which I didn't get, but I was kinda irritated with her Misery video, with the '70s do and the seemingly "squeaky" voice (felt like nails scratching a chalk board). It was a surprisingly good album, though -- very easy listening yet kinda different (definitely a plus! I hate sound alikes). She still sounds squeaky to me (LOL), but this album's very good!

The Fray (The Fray). I just love this band, and this follow-up is very consistent with their first album. Great melodies -- rock, but not too loud and not too boring either -- and touching lyrics.

Hoobastank (For(n)ever). This one's bordering on a bit too loud for my taste, but it's still pretty good if you're in the mood for some hard -- yet not so hard -- rock. My fave in this bunch is So Close, So Far, but still nothing beats The Reason, which is one of my all time favorites =)

===============
Random Thought:

What's with the Korean music invasion? I don't listen to local radio (just because I love my ipod more :P ), and I definitely don't listen to novelty music, but all of a sudden I've been seeing Korean music videos being played a lot, some of which are by the group 2NE1 where the Philippines-discovered Sandara Park (now known as Dara from what I hear) is a member. Ugh! *rolls eyes*

2 comments:

cueshe said...

I'm glad to finally see another elitist like me who despises the jologs music/DJs of Philippine radio. Koreans are so eww. You go Reina.

Reina said...

Haha.. Finally something we agree on, huh? Though I still wouldn't think of myself as "elitist" (I'm no way elite!), anything that's so nonsensical and absurdly shallow is definitely eww.