I got a call from my cousin this morning, saying that our grandmother who's in the States had passed away. I was a bit shocked at first and saddened, but what's more saddening, I guess, is that I didn't really get the chance to know her better.

The last time I've seen her was some 20 years ago when she came home to the country for a visit. Since then, all I've had was a brief phone conversation with her now and then. During her last visit, my cousins and I were telling her that we'd see her in a few years -- when we'd get to the US ourselves. But years passed, and the four of us (2 cousins, myself, and my brother) are still stuck here, and now there's no way we'll ever see her again.

She had been really sick these past months, though. Had been in and out of the hospital. She had also been staying in a nursing home because none of her children could take care of her full time. Well, in these times, we always console ourselves that it's probably best this way, so that our loved one can be freed from the suffering, and maybe this is true.

Although I'm not too attached to my grandma, as I was never really with her, I do regret that things hadn't been different. Well, I shall just pray for her soul and hope that she's now in peace.

0 comments: